The overall goal of the Advanced Medical Academy (AMA) program is to provide an advanced learning and growth opportunity about an important and timely healthcare topic and related careers. AMA programs are for Summer Medical Academy Alumni only (this includes both student participants and Group Leaders/Mentors), and will provide exposure to medical topics beyond what students would have learned. The AMA program utilizes lectures/interactive discussions, hands-on skills clinics, career panels, and/or team building/networking to accomplish this goal.
A Surgical Experience with Fresh Start: This unique and once-of-a-lifetime experience is designed for Summer Medical Academy alumni interested in learning about surgery; the role of charitable organizations in healthcare; and becoming an Ambassador for Fresh Start Surgical Gifts.
- Shadow a surgeon as they perform procedures for children and young adults who are suffering from physical deformities caused by birth defects, accidents, abuse or disease.
- Interact with a multidisciplinary team including Surgeons, Anesthesiologists, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Scrub Techs, and Translators.
- Learn from clinicians from a variety of healthcare facilities within San Diego.
- Educate others about Fresh Start by creating a plan to spread the word in the community.
For more information, check out the flyer here.
Become a Volunteer Group Mentor for the 2018 Summer Medical Academy: The Medical Academy (MA) volunteer program is designed to provide young adults with a valuable leadership and growth opportunity supporting high school students who are also interested in pursuing a career in healthcare. This program is open young adults who are currently enrolled in a post-high school education program (i.e. 2-year or 4-year) with the goal of pursuing a career in healthcare and/or education.
- Engage with students during all program components to help create an inspiring educational environment.
- Support program staff with day-to-day program operations.
- Participate in activities and facilitate team-building initiatives with students and program staff.
- Interact with various professionals from Rady Children’s, UC San Diego, Illumina, and Janssen Pharmaceuticals.
For more information, review the Medical Academy Volunteer Program Service Description and then submit the 2018 SMA Volunteer Group Mentor Application via email.