The overall goal of the Advanced Medical Academy (AMA) program is to provide an advanced learning and growth opportunity about an important and timely healthcare topic and related careers. AMA programs are for Medical Academy Alumni only (this includes student participants from Weekend and Summer programs, as well as Volunteer Group Leaders/Mentors, and FACES for the Future students if possible), and will provide exposure to medical topics beyond what students would have learned. The AMA program utilizes lectures/interactive discussions, hands-on skills clinics, career panels, and/or team building/networking to accomplish this goal.
Become a Volunteer Group Mentor for Summer Medical Academy programs: The Medical Academy (MA) volunteer program is designed to provide young adults with a valuable leadership and growth opportunity supporting high school students who are also interested in pursuing a career in healthcare. This program is open young adults who are currently enrolled in a post-high school education program (i.e. 2-year or 4-year) with the goal of pursuing a career in healthcare and/or education.
- Engage with students during all program components to help create an inspiring educational environment.
- Support program staff with day-to-day program operations.
- Participate in activities and facilitate team-building initiatives with students and program staff.
- Interact with various professionals from Rady Children’s, UC San Diego, and Janssen Pharmaceuticals.
Applications for 2020 Summer Medical Academy Group Mentor will become available on November 18, 2019. Applications are due February 21, 2020. For more information about this unique opportunity, please email email@example.com.
Download Application materials here:
Email completed applications to Alexandra Ayala, Lead Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Surgical Experience with Fresh Start: This unique and once-of-a-lifetime experience is designed for Medical Academy alumni interested in learning about surgery; the role of charitable organizations in healthcare and global health; and becoming an Ambassador for Fresh Start Surgical Gifts.
- Shadow a surgeon as they perform procedures for children and young adults who are suffering from physical deformities caused by birth defects, accidents, abuse or disease.
- Interact with a multidisciplinary team including Surgeons, Anesthesiologists, Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Scrub Techs, and Translators.
- Learn from clinicians from a variety of healthcare facilities within San Diego.
- Educate others about Fresh Start by creating a plan to spread the word in the community.
2019-2020 Program Dates: November 1-3, 2019 & March 6-8, 2020.
Enrollment for FSSG Surgical Weekend sessions is not open. Applications will become available for both sessions on September 13, 2019 and will close on October 11, 2019 by 5pm (PST). Find our application under Advanced Medical Academy Application Process to the left of this webpage. Please stay tuned for other program opportunities in the future. See the flyer here for more information.
Cardiology-The Heart of the Matter: This 1-day program provides a unique opportunity for students to learn more about the field of cardiology through experiential learning. This AMA features a special full day at the 2018 Transcatheter Cardiovascular Therapeutics (TCT) Conference organized by the Cardiovascular Research Foundation (CRF).
- View live cardiac procedures using the latest research and technology in cardiac care from locations around the globe via simulcast.
- Hold a human heart and test new technology in the field of interventional cardiology.
- Listen to leading experts as they share insights and accomplishments during the TCT Lifetime Achievement Award presentation.
- Engage in a unique networking experience through interactions with various faculty while attending the TCT Conference at the San Diego Convention Center.
This program took place September 23, 2018. Please stay tuned for other program opportunities in the future, and learn more about the experience of our students by viewing the program summary here.